Will it Ever Happen to Me?
There are many people out in the world who will think to themselves "that will never happen to me I'm too [insert your excuse here]". However, there are plenty of reasons to be taking care of yourself from the youngest age. Many of you probably don't know how old I am, since a lady never reveals her true age let's just say I'm in my early twenties, and yet I've suffered a full leg DVT and two pulmonary embolisms this year. So don't say it will never happen to me because it might just turn up one day when you least expect it!
What can Cause a DVT
There are a few factors that will increase your risk of getting a DVT or pulmonary embolism so if you fall under any of these categories I would recommend speaking to you health care provider about the best ways to prevent this from happening in your specific circumstances.
- Being overweight or obese
- Having an inherited condition that causes your blood to clot more easily
- Having a condition that causes you to be at a higher risk of clotting (antiphospholipid syndrome)
- Having a family history of blood clots in veins
- Having a blot clot before
- Suffer from cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, kidney disease or other long-term health issue
- Are taking an oestrogen contraceptive pill
- Are having hormone replacement therapy (HRT)
- Are pregnant of have just had a baby
- Are immobile; having surgery or are bed bound
- Are traveling for long distances where you cannot move your legs
- Or are over 60
Now remember these are only factors that increase your risk of having a blood clot but it is always wise to be in contact with your health care provider if you think you are at risk.