Preview on Feedage: its-never-lupus-your-turn-now-sherlock Add to My Yahoo! Add to Google! Add to AOL! Add to MSN
Delicious Save this on Delicious
Custom Search

Thursday, 27 June 2013

Warfarin For Deep Vein Thrombosis

Well, it's certainly been a while since my last post but that's mainly because I've been doing a lot more things due to my improved health. For a while I was on my Clexane injections which was improving my condition along with my own rehab program that I've been doing and that improved my health to some extent. However, for the last month or so I've been moved across to Warfarin as my clot has now stabilized and it has been the best decision me and my doctors have made in the last 18 months.

Warfarin comes in tablet form so I no longer have to do twice daily injections which means that my overall pain has reduced (it's now only in my leg) and my haematoma have disappeared. Although there are some side effects and complications with Warfarin they definitely out weigh the side effects of Clexane.

With Warfarin I have to be careful with the types of food that I eat and even avoid certain foods as vitamin K can really effect how it's absorbed and used by the body. Things like sweet potato, dark green leafy vegetables, egg yolks and cranberry juice are a nightmare for your INR which is the value the doctors use to monitor how thick your blood is. 

As a women you'll also find out that Warfarin will make your periods a lot heavier than they used to be. Fortunately there are certain contraceptive options that can help to control your periods by introducing more progesterone to your body which will decrease the amount of active oestrogen, therefore making your periods lighter. 

I'll be writing up further updates in the next few weeks to provide some more information on how my body is reacting from the Clexane to Warfarin shift. So, stay tuned for some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment